July 28, 2021: Western Montana Wildland Fire and Smoke Update
Much of the eight-county region of Glacier Country, which includes Flathead, Glacier, Lake, Lincoln, Mineral, Missoula, Ravalli and Sanders counties, has implemented fire restrictions in response to the hot and dry weather conditions which are forecasted to continue.
Flathead, Lake, Lincoln, Mineral, Missoula, Ravalli, and Sanders counties, Glacier National Park, Flathead National Forest and Kootenai National Forest have Stage 2 restrictions in effect until further notice. Glacier County currently has Stage 1 restrictions in place.
Under Stage 2 restrictions, the following acts are prohibited:
- Building maintaining, attending, or using a fire or campfire.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
- Operating motorized vehicles off designated roads and trails.
- The following acts are prohibited from 1:00 pm to 1:00 am:
- Operating any internal combustion engine.
- Welding, or operating acetylene or other torch with an open flame.
- Using an explosive.
All Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife & Parks campsites, parks and fishing access sites also follow the Stage 2 restrictions.
Under Stage 1 restrictions, campfires are only permitted in developed recreation areas within concrete or metal fire rings (rock rings are not allowed). Smoking is only allowed in an enclosed vehicle, building or developed recreation site.
For more information on fire restrictions in the state of Montana, please refer to mtfireinfo.org.